Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My letter as a rifle for a nation


Dear Nation;

I am a rifle who has been used by a Jonah. He was a Confederate who began the Civil War at Fort Sumter. I witnessed the mistakes and helped by being his rifle. I noticed the hatred there was in Johnny. I wanted to scream and prevent a war, but I am only a rifle. I suffered through the causes of my use. I write to a nation of unity to forgive me for being his rifle. I knew that when they fired me I would begin the deadliest war among Americans. I, as his rifle, understood that my owner Ruffin, Pvt. Edmund wanted to make a point and was afraid of being over told what to do with his slaves. I heard him night over night in his deep conflict, and I understood I was his only hope. He knew I was his only way on feeling pride. Unfortunately he didn’t know that this was useless because the union or in other words the northern states were gonna win anyway. I feel bad to be the rifle who started a conflict, but what was I to do but to support my owner. I really want everyone to forgive my owner and me because what does a man do with so much anger but destroy not thinking what we are doing. Now that the war is over, in my memory it seems like it was still yesterday. I am held in a coffin where I remember the days where I was used and when I saw all the Confederates with such evil eyes and thoughts. Things happen for a reason I think, but all that I can say now is “Thank God this is over with”. If I was to be used again for another battle, I would really pray for it not to be me, not this rifle again. I have lived ashamed, and I am trying to not feel guilty by asking forgiveness through this letter.


To all the nation sincerely;
This old humble rifle

1 comment:

carrie said...

I love this one. I like the voice you used for the rifle.
Excellent work!
50/50 points.