Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Well-Ordered Family

I read Benjamin Wadsworth, A Well-Ordered Family (Boston, 1712). The main objective in this page is basically the duties and guidance of husbands and wives. Honestly to me this is in line with my morals and with what I have been taught all my life. By reading this document I learned that life in the colonies was similar to today. The document seemed written as from the bible were it describes the patience and love you are supposed to have in a marriage. Today there are many families without both parents and this has an effect on our community. During colonial times they were taught to be more conservative. I think this would be taught in the past, present, and future because it is considered the right thing to do. The only problem is that Ithink there wasn't enough freedom for divorces in a couple which is common now in the new century. People should know who to marry and be faithful because if their not going to be faithful or patient, then why get married. A problem is that future generations are learning to accept that divorce is ok. Then Again this is only my opinion. Every person has a different way of living, but myself being a christian I handle marriage as something pure and holy. In other words I believe marriage is the most beautiful accomplishment that many people should honor.

1 comment:

carrie said...

I agree that having an entact family is so important, and unfortunately so many children grow up without one. Do you think people should have to wait until they're older to marry? I am glad that it is acceptable in our society for people to leave dangerous marriages when they are in danger. This hasn't always been the case. Thoughful post.
30 points.